What is testosterone?
Testosterone is the primary male sex hormone that is responsible for the development and maintenance of male characteristics. Here are some key points about testosterone:
What testosterone does in the body:
- Testosterone plays a vital role in body composition by increasing muscle mass and strength while decreasing body fat. It helps build strong bones by increasing bone mineral density.
- It fuels libido and is crucial for sexual health including getting and maintaining erections.
- Testosterone helps improve mood, focus, motivation, and cognitive abilities.
- It plays a role in hair growth on the body and face along with sperm production.
Where testosterone is produced:
- Testosterone production begins in the testes which are part of the male reproductive system. The testes produce around 95% of testosterone in men.
- The remaining testosterone is produced by the adrenal glands which sit above each kidney.
How testosterone levels change:
- Testosterone levels are highest during adolescence and early adulthood when the testes are most active.
- Testosterone production starts to slowly decline after age 30 by roughly 1% per year.
Many men start experiencing low energy, reduced muscle mass, weight gain, mood issues, low libido, and erectile dysfunction as their testosterone declines with age. This makes testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) an appealing option.
Their state-of-the-art facilities offer cutting-edge testosterone therapies including injections, gels, and pellets as well as holistic treatments. Vitality Wellness Clinic also provides nutrition, fitness and lifestyle coaching so you can continue feeling your best.