What is stamina?
Stamina refers to one's ability to sustain prolonged physical or mental effort. When we talk about stamina, we're generally referring to aerobic endurance - the ability of muscles to work hard for an extended period without getting fatigued.
Some key attributes of good stamina include:
- Cardiovascular fitness - The heart and lungs' capacity to deliver oxygenated blood to working muscles during exercise. Those with good stamina tend to have an efficient cardiovascular system.
- Muscular endurance - The ability of muscles to contract repeatedly or to hold a position statically over time without fatigue. Good stamina relies on muscles that are resilient.
- Metabolic efficiency - The body's ability to extract oxygen and energy from the bloodstream and convert it into fuel that muscles can utilize. Those with good stamina get more bang for their buck with every liter of oxygen.
Activities requiring stamina include things like:
- Long-distance running
- Aerobic sports like soccer, basketball, tennis
- Circuit training
- Many occupational pursuits
Ways to build stamina include:
- Aerobic exercise - Activities like running, swimming, cycling etc.
- Interval training - Alternating between bursts of high intensity and recovery
- Strength training - Building muscular endurance
- Nutrition - Eating well to fuel and recover efficiently
If you struggle with low energy levels or feel you lack the endurance to pursue the active lifestyle you want, consult your doctor or providers like Vitality Wellness Clinic. With customized care plans leveraging hormone optimization, you may be able to regain the stamina of your youth and meet all the demands life throws your way!